There are five basic techniques to becoming a Career Artists. If you are feeling stuck, or lost, or out of control in your career, Carrying a Paintbrush will get your back on track.
Here’s how it works:
1. Claim Your Career As Your Own
Careers don’t just happen. They are made. And it will take work on your part to create one that fulfills you, keeps you fed and warm, and allows you to grow as an individual. Until you are ready to take charge of, and own your career, you won’t have one. You’ll just have a job. In this book, you will learn how to Claim Your Career as Your Own, and then craft it into the life path that you’ve always wanted.
2. Know Who and What You Want to Be
A friend suggested that a great way to live life is to “set a direction and then meander with purpose.” Before you step onto the path that will be your career life, you need to know who you are and what you want to be. Through example stories and exercises, you’ll learn how to develop your work personality, or Personal Career Brand. With this essential tool, you can start painting and opening doors into your future.
3. Create Opportunities for Luck to Happen
Luck doesn’t just happen. In his 2003 book, The Luck Factor, Richard Wiseman writes, “Luck is not a magical ability or a gift from the gods.” He argues that only 10 percent of luck is truly random. The remaining 90 percent is “actually defined by the way you think.”
If you ask most successful people, be they musicians, politicians, doctors, entrepreneurs, or entertainers, they will usually say that they have just been incredibly lucky. But the secret that most people don’t know is that their luck didn’t come out of nowhere.
True luck comes from the hard work or what I call Creating Opportunities for Luck to Happen. The entrepreneur whose company had an incredibly successful IPO (initial public offering) didn’t just get lucky and build a company that people wanted a piece of. She worked long hours, built the right team, created a smart, differentiated product that people wanted, and grew to it profitability, all before the public had any interest in owning a piece of the pie.
Gordon Sumner, popularly known as the musician Sting, worked as a ditch digger, an English teacher, and a tax officer to make a living while writing and recording demos, playing in small venues, and networking like crazy. He was almost thirty years old before his hard work paid off and his band, The Police, “made it.”
Creating Opportunities for Luck to Happen takes hard work, boldness, and perseverance. This book will show you how to meet the people and create the situations that will forever change your career
4. Be Prepared When Luck Strikes
How many times have you, or someone else you’ve known, gone into a job interview and not landed the job? Considering the number of applicants per job, and the scarcity of jobs, I’m pretty sure if it hasn’t happened to you, it has happened to someone you know.
So who’s the one who got “lucky” and landed the gig? Honestly, the chosen one wasn’t lucky at all. He was prepared, amiable, inquisitive, prepared, enthusiastic, ready with ideas, prepared, engaging, a great person, and, oh, did I mention prepared?
The fact of the matter is that in general, people buy people. By being appropriately prepared, you more likely to make a “personal connection” with the people you are meeting, networking, or interviewing with. These personal connections make all the difference in the world. I’m going to show you how easy it is to get people to invest in your future and become your advocate—in both business and life.
5. Let Yourself Evolve
Human beings are not static. We are constantly evolving our interests, expanding our horizons, and taking on new challenges. Or at least that’s what we’re built to do. With enormous processing power up in that noggin of yours, it would be a terrible waste if you ended up doing the same thing, every day for the rest of your life.
The problem is that most of us are terrified of change. Especially as it pertains to work. Society has indoctrinated us into believing that having a secure job is the most important thing in the world. But a secure job today isn’t what it once was, and as the nature of work continues to change, we must change, too.
Change can mean anything from a shift within an organization, to a change to another company, or to a change to a completely different line of work. Together, we’ll investigate how and when changing is the right thing for you to do.
So let’s get started. I encourage you to grab your Bucket of Paint and your Paintbrush and join me in creating the career you’ve always wanted.